Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Spike Lee Bashes 50 Cent and Irv Gotti in New Ish of Complex

Never one to hold his tongue, the controversial movie director blamed Gotti and 50 for helping perpetuate violence in hip-hop in a Complex feature.
"I love hip-hop," Lee told the magazine. "But there are certain elements that are just [problematic]. You name your company Murder Incorporated, your logo's got bullet holes in it, you changed your name to Gotti, and you wonder why your ass is in court? I mean, come on. You want to be a gangster? Alright, well gangsters go to jail; gangsters get shot. I mean, look, 50 Cent has made a lot of money, but whatever you are doing that makes you have to put a bulletproof vest on your 5-year-old son, that's time for some deep introspective shit."
Spike didn't stop there. The outspoken director also bashed Fif's motion picture debut, Get Rich or Die Trying, and his
video game, indicating that they negtively influence impressionable kids.
"That whole mantra-'Get Rich or Die Tryin'-for me that's criminal," Lee explained. "Because young brothers, they took that to heart: 'Whatever I got to do to get them rims, get my fly gear, to get my bitches and hos, I'm going to do it. Fuck who I got to hurt, who I got to shoot, who I got to kill.' That's crazy to me. And his
video game, Bulletproof? I'm sorry, I can't get with that."
This doesn't mark the first time Spike speaks out against hip-hop.
He recently dissed Snoop Dogg and pimp culture during a Black History Month event at University of Florida.
Complex's issue also features Lee addressing violence in video games, diversity in Hollywood and "Chappelle's Show."