Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Chappelle Opens up to Oprah

When Dave Chappelle walked away from a large sum of money from Comedy Central, many didn't know what to think. Who would turn down a reported $50 million deal? Who wouldn't want to continue such a largely successful and innovative show? After months of debate and discussion about what Chappelle's motives may have been, the comic opened up about why he chose to step away from the spotlight. "I wasn't crazy but it is incredibly stressful," he confided on Oprah's television show Friday. "I felt in a lot of instances I was deliberately being put through stress, he added. In May of last year, Dave shocked audiences who were thirsty for new material form the man who ushered in Rick James' come-back. With a large ammount of stress piled up before the premier date of the show, Chappelle quit in mid-production and left people confused. He now admits it was all due to the stressful position he was in. "I would go to work on the show and I felt awful every day, that's not the way it was" he admitted. "I felt like some kind of prostitute or something. If I feel so bad, why keep on showing up to this place? I'm going to Africa," he continued. So, he left Africa and went back to his farm. He recovered and rested to get his mind at ease and has hit the road with a live show. The comic said he didn't rule out coming back for the seasons he left, but that he had to change some circumstances. For one, Chappelle said some of the DVD sales would go into helping out the less fortunate.