Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Beanie Sigel, "I Am No Longer Under Def Jam, Signed With Def Jam, Or Dealing With Def Jam Or Roc-A-Fella At All"

In a recent interview with The Fader magazine, Beanie Sigel revealed that he is no longer with Def Jam or Roc-A-Fella Records. He also outlined his plans to release a new, as-yet untitled mixtape, his first since releasing 2005's The B. Coming
The mixtape, which will be officially released through Def Jam, will be Beans' last project for the label. Citing his unwillingness to choose between mutual friends
Jay-Z and Damon Dash after the initial Roc-a-Fella split and what he feels was poor promotion for his album The B. Coming, Beans has decided to part ways with his former recording home.
"That's like a gift from me for leaving them," says the Philly MC about the project. "The deal with the mixtape is just me trying to build my brand up again. Because I am no longer under Def Jam, signed with Def Jam, or dealing with Def Jam or Roc-a-fella at all. I got out of my contract."
Beanie also revealed that he is searching for distribution for a new album which he is currently in the process of recording with R&B producers Dre and Vidal.
Sigel hooked up with the production duo, who may be best known for their work with fellow Philly artists like Jill Scott and Floetry, in an attempt to bring back the feeling that the MC got from classic albums like Ready To Die.
"I'm using Dre and Vidal to play the album because they don't sample. Everything gets played live, and even if there's something that I hear that I might want them to sample, they play it over," he says. "I'm like, 'Do what y'all do and let me worry about the
hip-hop part.'"
Ideally looking for a New Year's release for the album, the Broad Street Bully also said that he would be going on a tour to support the record, accompanied by a live
band. "Even with the beats and the music I want everything so real, to the point where I need all live instruments. I need real music. I'm on some music shit right now."